Q's hot list – what's cool? what's new? what's Q?
Learn about what trends in the industry are hot and what is going on in Los Angeles!
Pictured is Terry Biviano’s mermaid inspired wedding gown designed by J’Aton. J’Aton Couture is a Melbourne-based couture house, established by Jacob Luppino and Anthony Pittorino in 1995. Established by Jacob Luppino and Anthony Pittorino in Prahan, Melbourne, with a showroom and atelier, creating bespoke evening and bridalwear. With a reputation for skilled handwork and attention to detail, J’Aton is favourite amongst Australia’s society and celebrity elite. Both designers are from sartorial Italian backgrounds, and use traditional methods in their unique gowns. Over the years, the fashion house has succeeded in cultivating a wide and discerning national and international clientele, based solidly on the quality of items produced and the designer’s reputations. J’Aton Couture have been recipients of many prestigious awards, including the 2009 Prix de Marie Claire Awards for Best Eveningwear Designers and numerous Australian Gown of the Year acknowledgements. In addition to private couture requests, the house has created many custom-made evening gowns for local and international red carpets, and editorial assignments.
LOVE IT: This is Patrick’s favorite wedding gown. It screams sexy elegance and will definitely have your guest eyes on the bride all night long!
Q’s top 3 Favorite things to do:
1) WALK IN THE HUNTINGTON GARDENS
These botanical gardens are 120 acres of impressive landscapes. Located in San Marino, CA, this space is a hidden romantic gem of themed gardens including a rose garden, kids garden, statue garden, Japanese garden and Chinese gardens. Breathing in all the fragrances of flowers and seeing the visual foliage artistry is the perfect setting for an afternoon walk and taking in the beautiful SoCal weather. There is also the Huntington Library museum that includes works of art by Virginia Steele Scott and early editions of Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales” on the property as well. Tickets are free on the first Thursday of every month. Free tickets are limited, so plan your trip in advance.
2) BEACH BIKE RIDE
One of the most breath-taking things about Southern California is the coastline. The bike bath that runs from Marina Del Rey to the Pacific Palisades is the perfect way to take in the beach landscape. Along the way you will ride under the historic Santa Monica pier and experience first-hand the culture of Venice Beach—all while simultaneously taking in the crisp ocean breeze, the warmth of the sun, and the vitality of beach life along your trail. You can even find free parking in some of the neighborhoods.
3) TAKE IN THE STARS AT THE GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY
Griffith Observatory allows visitors to view the skies through their telescopes. It is located in the Hills of Los Angeles. During the day, the solar telescopes offer views of the sun. At night, the Zeiss telescope offers views of the moon. The observatory grounds, exhibits and telescopes are free. If you want to pay a nominal fee, they also offer shows at the Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon and the Samuel Oschin Planetarium.
In Fall 2006, Lela Rose launched the Lela Rose Wedding collection. The collection is a pairing of unconventional fabrics and techniques that are trademarks of the designer. The impeccable quality and couture sensibility of these gowns make them one of a kind. This Lela Rose Secret Garden sweetheart gown in ivory is an inspiration for wedding gowns.
Love it: Patrick loves this fairytale dress. Named The Secret Garden, this amazing wedding gown is part of the Lela Rose Spring 2011 collection. He loves the exquisite delicate tulle straps and sweetheart top and is in awe of the dreamy cascading skirt. IT IS TOTALLY STUNNING!
Get it: Brides can get this dress at stores around the world. See link for details on participating retailers.
Love it: Patrick just loves the dramatic setting! Your guests will feel like they are in the middle of a dreamy snowy forest! What a romantic setting for your special day.
Get it: Brides & Grooms can get this by hiring the Q Planning Partners Design team to execute this vision. Our lighting and design experts can re-create this scene for you as the platform for your special day. http://www.planonQ.com/events.php
Flowers play an important role on the wedding day, but they’re not just for the ceremony and reception spaces. This exotic cocktail is garnished with a fresh orchid blossom for a decorative finish and a prefect way to romanticize your weddings specialty drink.
It’s not everyday you find a specialty drink that isn’t over done. Patrick loves this specialty drink called Ciroc-lola because it is elegant, modern, and unique! The recipe for a drink that will complete the specialness of your wedding day. It has Ciroc Vodka and Champagne the perfect blend!
1 ounce(s) Cîroc Vodka
1 1/2 ounce(s) pomegranate juice
1 teaspoon(s) elderflower liqueur
1 splash champagne
1 orchid blossom
Stir all the ingredients over ice to chilled and strain into a pre-chilled cocktail glass. Top with splash of champagne and garnish with a Sonya orchid or, if unavailable, another food-grade edible flower.
Do you hear bells? It isn’t the ringing of jingle bells on Santa’s slay, it is the ringing of marriage bells as we enter into marriage season. If you are feeling inspired to pop the question this season, keep in mind that your beautiful bride will be telling the story of how you proposed to friends and strangers for the rest of her life! She has dreamed about this day since she was a little girl, so make it extra special for her. To get those creative juices flowing below are the top 10 marriage proposals as voted on by Q’s couples (not listed in a specific order).
1) If your love likes challenges, send her on a treasure hunt. Start with a creative clue at home; then send her on a tour of your favorite spots. When she gets to the last hint, the prize should be you on one knee. Pop, there goes the question!
2) If your love would want her family and friends close, gather them for a party get some custom T-shirts bearing one of the letters in the phrase “Will you marry me?” When you walk into the room with your love, suggest a group picture and let the shirts speak for themselves. Or, do the same concept in your love’s favorite spot.
3) If your love is a simple romantic, turn off all the lights in your home and make a trail of candles with rose petals that leads to a red-velvet ribbon tied from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. The last note will be one that says, “will you marry me” and you can whip out the ring and get on one knee when she gets to that one.
4) If your love is a foodie, put together a gift basket of her favorite yummy delicacies, get it sent to her in the mail to her home when you both will be there and then hide the ring among the food presents (Keep the ring in its box, so it doesn’t get lost in the goodies). When she stumbles on the ring, get down on one knee and ask her to marry you.
5) If your love likes to flex her cerebral muscles, create your own crossword puzzle in the newspaper with a corresponding advertisement that has a picture of you down on one knee and ring extended. Complete the puzzle with her and then once she reads the line “Would you marry me?” turn the page to you down on one knee and do the real life version as well with ring in hand.
6) If your love is outdoorsy, have one of your friends set up a picnic — complete with wine and cheese for you in a park. Take your girlfriend for a hike on a route where you’ll stumble upon this surprise proposal picnic with ring in basket and when she finds it ask her to be yours.
7) If your love tends to be more posh, spontaneously call her and have her meet you at her favorite high-end hotel bar. When it’s time to go, casually mention that you’ve already reserved a room for the night. When you open the hotel room door, have roses, candles and champagne all set up — everything for a perfect surprise proposal.
8)If your love likes to be the center of attention, make her feel like a movie star and set your proposal to the scene of her favorite romantic movie (i.e. Flash Mob from Friends with Benefits) or write her a romantic love song and serenade her with the proposal at the promenade.
9) If your love is more of an old soul, tell her you want to make a time capsule together to bury and dig up years in 10 years. As you’re gathering the items for the capsule, say it wouldn’t be complete without a picture of the moment you two got engaged! Have a camera ready to take that shot right after you present her with the ring.
10) If your love is simple and quarky, spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Get into bed, turn the lights off and wait for the inevitable gasp.
Let Q help you create and execute a proposal completely unique for your love. We will provide our planning for the proposal for free with contracting one of our planners for the wedding planning.
Congrats–you found the love of your life-its make it official! Have the wedding of your dreams!
Imagine your ceremony aisle as a romantic rose petal path. The path will be lined with large hurricane vases containing floating candles that are placed like beacons continuously down either side of the path. The path will be abundantly strewn with rose petals in shades in pink and yellow. Walking down this aisle you like a princess out of storybook! What a great way to start you fairy tale?
Love it: Patrick loves how simply romantic and easy design idea is!
Get it: Q Planning Partners event design team can recreate this design as well as design the entire wedding décor for your celebration. http://www.planonq.com/events.php
Most girls who grew up watching the Disney Movie Cinderella have spent their childhood years dreaming about meeting, falling in love, and marrying their prince charming! The perfect match inevitably signified by the symbolic glass slipper. Well, little girls’ dreams of the perfect glass slipper have now been fulfilled by the creation The Cinderella Glass Sipper by the famous Mr. Christian-Louboutin.
Love it: Patrick loves the opulence of the glass slipper with it’s crystal covered heels. The delicate shimmering butterfly embellishments and the Louboutin signature Red bottom=Priceless!!
Get it: Brides can get the glass slipper on-line or at boutique Christian Louboutin Stores. http://us.christianlouboutin.com/
Kenneth Pool, Spring 2013 Rio Gown! Amazing!!! A gown created for the bride that demands the spotlight!
Love it: Patrick loves the sexy fit and the sweetheart neckline bodice of the Rio Gown. The modern touch of sparkle and frilled tiered tulle skirt coupled with the full beaded embroidered sheaths gives bride’s endless options.
Get it: The Designer is Amsale Aberra of Kenneth Pool.
Founded in 2003 by Amsale Aberra, the KENNETH POOL label has long been recognized for its embodiment of fantasy and drama with its grand ball gowns, luxurious fabrics and exquisite beadwork. Already renowned for her AMSALE and CHRISTOS collections, Amsale now takes on the role of Creative Director for KENNETH POOL. Amsale’s creations for the collection carry on the legacy of the label.
The dress can be found in boutiques and high-end department stores in Los Angeles and throughout the country. Visit:
You might be thinking… “Rosé? Like that old box wine I drank in my early twenties? Yeah right, there is no way that is a good wine!” Don’t make the mistake of thinking that all pink wines are sugary nasty stuff that comes in a box. If you do, you will be missing out on some great refreshing summer wines that are perfect for outdoor parties during this heat!
Misguidedly, many people believe Rosé wines are made by mixing a bit of white wine with a bit of red wine. In reality, most Rosés have a life trajectory similar to red wines; red grapes are de-stemmed, crushed, and then placed in a container for the fermenting process to occur. The difference between Red and Rosé wines is in the skins. Instead of spending two or three weeks with the grapes’ skins in contact with the juice, the skins are removed after a brief period, a few hours to maybe a couple days depending on the type of grape and the style the winemaker. This brief skin contact allows just enough color to turn the wine pink. It also adds a tiny bit of tannin and some complexity to the taste. Rosés are known for their strawberry and raspberry aromas, flavors, and their versatility.
Q’s Top Three Favorite Summer Rosés: All three are virtually ideal compliment for outdoor patio weather and amazing for Picnics!
Lucy (http://www.luciavineyards.com/) is our number 1 choice since in addition to amazing taste there is a philanthropic incentive this Summer/Fall. This Summer/Fall the PASONI Family donates all proceeds from this year’s Rosé of Pinot Noir to Breast Cancer!!! Headed by family matriarch Jane, the Pisoni Family has been farming for three generations (http://www.pisonivineyards.com/). The Pisoni Vineyards are nestled at the southern tip of the Santa Lucia Highlands’ mountains. The mountainous terrain stresses the vines, producing grapes of intense character. Their ranch that sits high above the valley is comprised of several small vineyard blocks each block with a unique soil type and microclimate. The Lucy –Rosé of Pinot Noir is a delicious, full-flavored, dry Rosé wine to fit any occasion.
Join Q for a glass! You can meet our Chef Mike Q Kim and we can help you come up with a great menu to compliment the Rosé of your choice for your outdoor party!